Please consider sending this to your Jacksonville representative or adjust it to fit your county's representative. Please consider watching my 9 minute YouTube video as to why this is important: https://youtu.be/Ey12q_eyzF4
To find your representative:
Suggestion to write on your state representatives contact page:
Please sponsor a bill that will do the following in order to protect the revenue generated from our sales surtax referendum which the voters approved in 2020 after the city council stopped us from voting in 2019 and after the legislature via HB 7097 in 2020 forced us to give part of the revenue on a per student rather than a needs basis to charter schools.
1. Change the rules for capital outlay funding going to charter schools in order to keep assets purchased with tax dollars within the public school system.
· Change f.s. 1013.62 (4) so that Capital Outlay Funding must only go to schools housed in buildings where the profits will go to the school district if the building is sold.
· Change f.s. 1013.62 (5) to make it clear that no distribution of capital outlay funding can be distributed to a charter school until the charter contract lays out in clear language how the assets will revert to the school district if the charter school should close or the building is sold.
2. Change the rules so that charter schools that get a D or F two years in a row must close or turn over to another charter school or pay an outside vendor just like the district –run schools are required to do in order to bring the grade up to a C.
3. Change the rules so that new charter school buildings MUST always get a zoning change so the neighborhood will be notified in case traffic will be an issue.